We did it....
11:36 on Wednesday the 5th September, 2007
Following a phone call at 16:45pm irish time, 13:45pm Greenland time, Pat Falvey, Clare O'Leary and Shaun Menzies have just come off the edge of the Greenland ice cap on to their first solid ground in 31 days.
Pat was very excited and there was lots of banter and laughing going on in the background as they meet with the first people in weeks which were there to collect them and drive them to Kangelussak about 10 miles away where i imagine a big meal, long shower or bath and about 5 or more pints are on the cards.
The trio have gained massive experience and preparation for their South Pole attempt in Nov/Dec.
They had a very testing time especially as they approached the end. With such a short distance to the freedom of finally taking off their skiis ahead, they battled through the maze of melt water and persisted where I'm sure others have packed it in.
- We did it....
- Greenland team to make decision today
- Report from Pat - Everything Wet!!
- meandering melt waters
- Only 100kms to go!!
- Running out of Food & Time 22/08/07
- Signs of Sun - Greenland 21/08/07
- 20km in Blizzard - Greenland 20/08/07
- Soft snow slows team - Greenland 18/08/07
- Going hell for leather 15/08/07
subscribe to our news rss feed